Search This Blog

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Christmas Crafting - Painted Vases




As I mentioned in my last post, I decided to make some painted vases as Christmas gifts this year.  This weekend marked the beginning of my Christmas crafting, I did a number of projects just to get a head start.  Since I'm planning on making a number of these painted vases, I figured I should start ASAP.

I tried two different techniques.

Air Blown Painted Vases:

For these vases, I pick two - four colours and "dribble" a little of each colour around the bottom edge of the vase.  From there, I just blow on the paint until it is sufficiently spread around the entire vase and in a design that I like.  Using a straw works if you are worried about getting too close to the wet paint - yes, I have ended up with paint on my nose as a result of losing track of how close to the vase I was.

Once the vases are painted, I let them dry for at least two days and then pop them in the oven to bake in accordance with the instruction on the paint.  I tend to use Americana Gloss Enamels, but mostly because that's the only enamel product that the Michaels closest to me.






 (I store them upside down until the paint dries.)









Interior Swirled Painted Vases:

These ones are as simple as adding a few colours to the bottom (inside) of a vase and SLOWLY twirling the vase to coax the paint around and around until the entire interior is covered.  Additional drops of paint are added as necessary during the process.

When complete, drain the excess paint from the vase.  I stored my upright to dry because I purposely wanted some streaking to occur, caused by the wet paint wanting to pool in the bottom of the vase.  When the paint is dry for a couple days, I'm going to coat the inside with a varnish.




No comments:

Post a Comment