Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Homemade Cheese Crackers

A few weeks ago, I came across a recipe for homemade cheese crackers on Pinterest.  It seemed too easy to be true, but I was intrigued and decided a friend's birthday party would be a good reason to try them out.

In short: AMAZING!!!  So easy!  So tasty!  And did I mention, easy.

Here's what you need:

8 oz grated Old Cheddar (approximately half of a 500 gram block)
4 tablespoons of butter (chilled, not softened)
1 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cold water

Pulse the cheese, butter, flour and salt in a food processor until the mixture looks like "coarse sand".

Pulse in the water one tablespoon at a time.  The dough should look like very small pebbles.

Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for at least 20 minutes.

When you pull the dough out of the fridge, roll out a 1/4 inch thick sheet and cut out crackers in your desired shape and size (the original recipe brilliantly used goldfish shaped cutters made out of a pop can - but, as my husband often reminds me that I'm clumsy with sharp objects, I refrained from trying this technique).  Repeat until you have cut out as many crackers as your dough allows.

Place on baking sheets that are lined with wax paper.  Bake in an over that is heated to 350 F. for 15-18 minutes (or longer depending on how crispy you want them).

I've taken these to work and to a party and have already been asked for the recipe multiple times.  They really are worth trying.  Thank you Pinterest!!!

I was also decorating a cake at the same time that I made these, so I didn't take pictures of the entire process, but here are a couple pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment