Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012

"Sunday Cake" - Cookies & Cream Cake



Last weekend, as I explained in the post regarding the Lemon Cake with Raspberry Filling and Cream Cheese Frosting, I finally gave in to my husband's request for Sunday cake.  He asked for another cake this weekend and I realized that making his desired "Sunday cake" gives me an opportunity to try out cake combinations and designs that I want to make.  So, I've decided that he is now my guinea pig for cake recipes.  I don't think he minds.

This week I decided to make a cookies and cream cake I've been wanting to make for a while now but have never tried.  For the cake, I used Betty Crocker's Chocolate Fudge cake.  I also used a tub of Betty Crocker's French Chocolate icing for the crumb coat and a hidden layer of chocolate icing.


The feature for this cake is the cookies and cream frosting.  It is essentially Oreo cream cheese icing.  I've seen a few different recipes for this and ended up using the following:

- one package cream cheese (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- half a package of Oreo, processed into crumbs


Cream the cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy.  Add the powered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time.  Add the vanilla. 

 


Finally, add the Oreo crumbs.  I stuck it in the fridge for a few minutes just to stiffen it up a bit before frosting.




I used about half of the cookies and cream frosting for the filling. 




On top of the crumb coat, I did a layer of chocolate icing around the sides of the cake, followed by the cookies and cream frosting all over.


It is definitely sweet, but not too sweet.



A lot of help these two were...


Wonder what I will make next time he requests Sunday cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment