Search This Blog

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Somebody found her sewing machine!

Let's start by addressing the obvious question - how does someone misplace their sewing machine.  Easy, when we moved into the house, it was not unpacked right away.  I've been busy with work and haven't needed to sew anything until recently.  My husband wants new drapes for the front door and a few months ago he started cajoling me into looking for the box with the sewing machine.  I couldn't remember where it was!  So, I just let it rest for a while.

My friend's wife is pregnant and I wanted to make a few gifts (in addition to the diaper cakes that will be in the next post), so the search for the sewing machine began again.  Of course it was in the most obvious place (I have a spare room that was originally intended to be my home office but has become a bit of a storage space).

Anyways, sewing machine found, I bought some cotton prints, towels and flannel and have been sewing away each night this week.  I've made burp clothes, a bib, and a rag quilt.  I learned how to sew by age 5 but I haven't quilted in any style in YEARS.  I'm tickled pink with how the burp clothes turned out but I am particularly proud of this little rag quilt. 

I didn't remember to take pictures during the making of the burp clothes or most of the way through the quilt but here are some pictures of the final product.

Burp Clothes and Bib (Cotton prints and towels, patterns were free-styled on newsprint):


 Rag quilt:

 (This shows the rows of the squares of cotton, with flannel backing, lined up ready to attach each row together.)

 (Almost done, all rows together and time to cut into the edges to facilitate the fraying.)



 (All edges have been cut to help the fraying.  I hate this part, it feels like it takes forever!)


 (All washed and dried and frayed! Yea!!  Done!!)



I can't wait to give these to the parents-to-be!

No comments:

Post a Comment