Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Homemade Granola Bars



As mentioned in my prior post, I've started eating smaller meals and more snacks throughout the day.  As a result, I've been looking for recipes for snacks.  I'm particularly interested in recipes for things that will either allow me to make bulk batches or eliminate/minimize chemicals in my food.

I'm a big fan of granola bars, but not such a big fan of some of the ingredients used to make mass produced products.  Thankfully, I recently found a few tasty looking recipes for DIY granola bars.  After looking at a few different recipes, I decided to use the following base recipe:

Homemade Granola
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup raw honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups quick oats
1 cup rice cereal

Melt butter and combine with sugar and honey until both are dissolved and thoroughly mixed. Add vanilla and blend into mix.

Remove from heat.  Stir in oats and cereal.


Prepare a cookie sheet by lining with wax paper.

Customization (I split the recipe into 1/3 and 2/3):

#1 - Chocolate chip
I added 1/4 cup of mini-chocolate chips to the granola mix after letting the mix sit for a few minutes.   The mix was then pressed into one side of the cookie tray.  I sprinkled a couple tablespoons of the mini-chips on top and slightly pressed them in.



#2 - Coconut and Raisin
I added 1/2 cup of shredded coconut, 1/3 cup raisins, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  The mix was then pressed into the other side of the cookie tray.




I put the cookie tray into the fridge for an hour and then took it out and cut the granola into bars. 








No comments:

Post a Comment