Search This Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

Banana Bread - Straight Up!




I have managed to hold on to a copy of the same banana bread recipe that I started making when I was very young.  I believe it was originally from an old copy of Joy of Cooking.

3-4 over ripe bananas (if you use too much, it makes an overly moist loaf)
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup of butter
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs (pre-beaten)
*The recipe also calls for nuts (e.g., walnuts), but my husband is allergic to nuts so my kitchen is a nut-free zone.  Sometimes I'll substitute raisins, roughly 1/2 cup.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 9 inch loaf pan.

Mash bananas.

In separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder.
In mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Beat in the flour mixture until blended and then beat in eggs, slowly.

Add bananas and blend until just mixed.

Bake 55-60 minutes until knife comes out clean.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes.  Spread teaspoon of butter on top crust until all melted.



Cool completely and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment