Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

I get it, hummus is easy



I have changed my diet recently and trying very hard to be healthy.  I've also started eating smaller meals or snacks throughout the day.  One of the things that I've started snacking on a lot is hummus and whole grain chips.  I've always loved hummus, but maybe had it in the house a couple times a months.  Since December, I think I've bought a new container each week and have some two to three times a week.

I've been told a thousand times how easy hummus is to make.  I have never doubted that, but I also think picking up a container when doing groceries is also very easy.  Anyways, since I'm eating so much more hummus now, I've finally decided to try making my own hummus.

As an aside, sending the husband to the grocery store to pick up tahini paste was interesting.  I wasn't sure what he would bring home.

I checked out a number of recipes on the internet (for something so easy, there are seemingly thousands of recipes out there) and decided upon the following recipe I found on Canadian Living:

1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed 
1/4 cup lemon juice 
1/4 cup olive oil 
2 tbsp tahini 
2 cloves garlic, chopped 
1/2 tsp ground cumin 
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth.  

 

Scrape into container with airtight lid and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Yep, super easy.






I've been told it will be better after sitting in the fridge overnight.  If the taste right after it was done was any indication, it will be fantastic by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment