Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Boston Bruins Birthday Baking Bonaza

I couldn't help myself with the alliterative title.  Sorry for the nerd moment, but it was just begging to be done. 

Any ways, this weekend was my godson's birthday party.  His birthday's not until the end of the month, but if you have ever tried to rent a sheet of ice during hockey season (not the NHL type, since apparently that won't be happening), you will know that you take what you can get.

My godson is a huge hockey fan and a rather talented goalie in his own right.  For his 10th birthday, his mom (my bff) and I rented a sheet of ice for the boys (young and old), and planned a hockey themed party.  My godson's favourite NHL team is the Boston Bruins (despite living just outside of Toronto, he steadfastly refuses to cheer for the "Maple Laughs" as he calls them, but a big factor is that his uncle plays for Boston).

I offered to bake for the party and gave my godson a choice of the cake design he wanted.  He could pick either (a) a goalie pad designed sheet cake; (b) a hockey net, stick and puck; or (c) a round cake with a Boston Bruins design.  He picked the Bruins design (somewhat to my chagrin, since my piping skills need some work). 

Since I had so much fun making the Tye-Dyed Cupcakes a few weeks ago, I decided to make the Bruins logo cake and also cupcakes with swirl icing using the Boston Bruins' black and gold colours for icing.

As usual, when I'm making decorative cakes and cupcakes, I stuck to boxed mixes for simplicity and used Betty Crocker mixes (Devil's Food Cake and Chocolate Fudge) and frosting (Vanilla and Milk Chocolate) and Wilton food colouring and decorating tools.  Here's the pictures of the works in progress:

Boston Bruin Swirl Cupcakes:








 Boston Bruin Logo Cake:






Packed up and ready to go to the party:

Here are some pictures of the NHL themed decorations - honestly, its amazing what's available these days for planning partys.  Party City is a very dangerous store to be in for extended periods of time.





Here's the cake and cupcakes at the party.  I guess, based on the last picture, the cake went over well and maybe the sugar gave the boys some extra energy for when they went skating afterwards.  All in all, while the cake is not as clean as I would like, it was fun to make and it was a fun day overall (plus, I didn't fall on the ice!!!!).








No comments:

Post a Comment