Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

Baked Pickles - First Attempt


No, it wasn't a pregnancy craving, but yes, I was in the mood for fried pickles recently.  I don't deep fry anything, so I looked for baked recipes that would make do.

This recipe from Shrinking Kitchen seemed quite good.

Ingredients
pickles, 1 jar (I used kosher dill pickles)
egg, 1
dill (I used dried dill)
panko crumbs, 1 cup (to which I added italian seasoning)

I followed Shrinking Kitchen's steps pretty closely except where noted.
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a food processor, combine panko crumbs and dill until well-mixed. Pour bread crumbs onto a plate. (I didn't use my food processor, next time I will try this.)
  3. Break the egg into a bowl and beat.
  4. Remove a pickle and pat with paper towel to remove some sodium. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP. (I concur!!!)
  5. Dip in egg and then coat in bread crumbs.
  6. Place coated pickle on foil-lined cookie sheet.
  7. Repeat.
  8. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, flip, and bake for 5 more minutes. Broil for 1 minute until they brown, watching carefully.
  9. Eat.



They tasted good, but I was disappointed by the coverage.  I will try using the food processor next time to see if that makes a difference.  But the key being, I will try them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment