Search This Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2012

I give thanks for chocolate cake

Thanksgiving is going to be a low key affair this year, with dinner being at my in-laws.  I offered to make dessert and decided upon a simple chocolate cake.  As there will only be five of us at dinner, I decided to make a six inch layer cake, with whipped milk chocolate frosting.  For some flair, I decided to add texture with the icing with a Wilton icing comb.




Always do a crumb coat...always!


Make sure the icing is thick enough that you won't leave bare spots when you take the comb to the cake.


Comb the top first, followed by the sides, but make sure you don't go too deep and leave bare spots.



You can work to make it smoother, but since its for a Thanksgiving dinner, I went with a more rustic look.



Because I baked 9 inch cakes, I had plenty of left over cake and decided to also make a few cake pops.  There are a tonne of websites and videos where you can get directions on how to make cake pops.  They are soooooo easy!!!  It is literally as simple as adding frosting to cake crumbs, shaping the mix into pops, adding sticks (or not), popping it into the freezer for a little while, and finishing it off with a coating of chocolate (or candy).



I decided to leave a couple without pop sticks because I made them a little on the larger size.

Any ways, Happy Thanksgiving!




No comments:

Post a Comment