Search This Blog

Monday, July 14, 2014

What fun! What fun! E is one!


This year flew by.  I mean at Mach 3 speed.  I can't believe E's First Birthday has come and gone.  I'm a little ashamed to admit it but I started planning his party as early as December!  (I have issues, I know!)

The party was Dr. Seuss themed.  I ordered decorations from Birthday Express - they sell great Dr. Seuss party sets, with plates, cups, cutlery and table clothes.  They also sell adorable window decals and wall cut outs

E's Dr. Seuss collection is quite respectable and made for easy décor.  I placed several of his books around the living room.





I couldn't find a banner that I liked, so I used the basic Paint application on the computer and created a banner saying Happy Birthday, spelled out on Cat in the Hat hats, sewn together with bias tape.  I made a similar banner for E's highchair saying "I am 1".




Food-wise, I kept it simple.  I made:
fruit salad - called "Beezle Nut Fruit Salad";
  • potato salad - lamely called "Tangy Pangy Potato Salad";
  • green eggs;
  • ham (and turkey) sandwiches;
  • "cat"prese skewers;
  • doughnuts - because "D is for doughnuts";
  • cheese trees; and
  • Birthday Cake with Jerry Jordan's Jelly!


For the cake, I tried to style it like the birthday cake from "Happy Birthday to You"!  The cake itself was a plain white cake, with raspberry jam filling and lemon frosting:


Lemon Frosting

1 box lemon pudding
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 tub thawed cool whip

Mix pudding, icing sugar and milk with electric mixer for 2 minutes at medium or high speed.  Allow mixture to sit for 1 minute.  Fold in cool whip until frosting is consistently mixed. 



I also ordered custom "green egg" cookies from a local baker.  They were AMAZING!!!  Cake Expectations totally exceeded my expectations.



All-in-all, it was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment