Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Holy crap, its been a while


To say its been a while is probably the understatement of the year.  Between finishing maternity leave and returning to work after only five months, working full-time and coming home to an infant, I evidently let my blogging slip.  When I logged in, I didn't even remember preparing several draft posts that I should post in the coming days weeks.

The inspiration for this post, however, is a cake that I recently made for my BFF's daughter's First Birthday.  (Yes, I think First Birthdays are worthy of all caps!)  That and I have been crafting and baking up a storm recently in anticipation of E's First Birthday and a baby shower that I am co-hosting for two colleagues.  Hopefully I can make time to post about those events but it is probably wiser if I don't make any promises.

The theme for B's party this weekend was pink and black zebra.  Naturally, my BFF wanted the cake to match and zebra cakes are particularly trendy lately (one need only Google zebra cake and many posts explaining the technique are readily found, such as here and here).


We did a trial run and its actually much easier to make than I expected.  Just time consuming.  If I had to do it again, I likely would have used smaller amounts to create thinner stripes.  That said, I think it turned out amazing and it got rave reviews.

Due to my fondant aversion, I tried my hand at Wilton sugar sheets for the first time so that it could have a zebra exterior.  Talk about easy to use!  I applied some piping gel and they held up really well.

All in all, I was very pleased if I say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment